Lakeland’s most iconic bird is the swan, but we have a special place in our hearts for another avian — the snowbird. Defined as a northerner who moves to southern states (like Florida) during the cooler months, many snowbirds call Lakeland home during the holiday season and even into the new year.
Whether you’re a long-term part-time Lakelander or joining the flock this year, keep reading for our snowbird’s guide to Swan City.
Recreation + things to do
- Lakeland’s winter months are the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors. Stop by Bonnet Springs Park for fresh air, weekly events, or a drink at the rooftop bar.
- Find your new favorite eatery — we have guides to dog-friendly dining, can’t-miss happy hours, and pleasant patios.
- Antiquing, anyone? Check out Lakeland’s vintage and antique stores to find a new treasure.
- Use our arts and culture guide to find entertainment ranging from theater to symphony orchestras.
Health + wellness
- Need a checkup? Find a practitioner at Lakeland Regional Health. The healthcare provider has 18+ locations, bilingual services, and other helpful features.
- Treat yourself to a massage, facial, or salt room experience at one of these local spots.
- Work up a sweat at one of Lakeland’s gyms, or take a hike on one of Lakeland’s trails. Pro tip: Take a look at the difficulty level and wheelchair accessibility listed for each trail.
Live like a local
- Did you know we have an entire website dedicated to new and returning Lakelanders? New to Lakeland is your one-stop guide for all things living, working, and playing in Lakeland.
- For events and adventures both in and beyond Lakeland, check out Visit Central Florida. Pro tip: Bookmark the deals and specials page to save on hotels, experiences, dining, and more.
- What’s more local than being an expert on Lakeland news and events? Subscribe to our newsletter or share it with a friend.