DYK March is Florida Bicycle Month? Throughout the month of March, Floridians are encouraged to get out, get active, and bike.
And, in pure Sunshine State fashion, our version of Bicycle Month comes about two months earlier than the National Bike Month of May. Why? The Florida Bicycle Association (yes, that’s a thing), believes March to have better weather with sometimes cooler temps. Lakeland is considered a “bronze level, bike-friendly community?” The League of American Bicyclists awarded Swan City this title back in 2012.
If you’re ready to ride, here are 7 places in Polk County to cycle to your heart’s content:
- TECO Auburndale Trail | 318 Denton Ave. | 6.6 miles | At the end of the trail, be sure to check out the observation area — you might see a bald eagle.
- Gator Creek Reserve | 9725 U.S. 98 N. | Varying trail lengths | Depending on your skill level, desired length, and shade preferences, there’s a trail for everyone, so read up before you arrive.
- Van Fleet Trail - Polk City Trailhead | 7683 Berkley Rd. | 29.2 miles | Because you travel through three counties — Polk, Lake, and Sumter — remember to bring not only your cell phone, but a map (this trail’s pretty rural.)
- Carter Road Mountain Bike Trails | 500 W. Carter Rd. | 12.5 miles | These trails are for the moderately experienced + are best for those looking to mountain bike (Florida-style.)
- Tenoroc Public Use Area | 3829 Tenoroc Mine Rd. | 39 miles | These trails don’t seem to be paved, so if mountain biking is what you’re after, you’re in the right place at Tenoroc.
- Colt Creek State Park | 16000 State Rd. 471 | 15 miles | Colt Creek requires admission fees of $1.86 per biker.
- Circle B Bar Reserve | 4399 Winter Lake Rd. | Varying trail lengths | Much like Gator Creek, Circle B also boasts multiple trail options for those with as little or as much experience.
- Fort Fraser Trail | E. of US 98, from Winterlake Rd., to SR 60 | ~ 7 miles | Fort Fraser Trail is wheel-chair friendly and welcomes bikers, hikers, joggers, and anyone else in between (except motorcyclists).
Did we miss your favorite spot to bike? Email us with your favorite trails and fill us in on the best, bike-worthy paths + trails.