Contrary to what some may believe, the library is much more than a stale reminder of a bygone era. Prefer your sound system or Kindle device to classic hardcovers? Audio + e-books are available for checkout at the Lakeland Public Library. Books not your thing? Stream movies, music, comics + TV shows for free using your library card.
And there’s no need to stop at the checkout line – LPL offers all kinds of programs, events, classes, tools, kids activities, + more. The best part? All of it is free for cardholders.
How to get a card:
No card? No problem. All you have to do to become a cardholder is stop by any branch, fill out a quick form + provide current identification showing a Polk County address (i.e. a driver’s license). Or, you can just fill out this online form to register for a temporary card. It’s 100% free for residents.
DYK – you can get a library card at any age? Some of the youngest library cardholders are infants. Parents are able to utilize the library to check out materials for their children to promote early literacy.
Free services you may not know LPL provides:
• Virtual events: Keep kids and adults engaged + educated from the comfort of their home
• Curbside services: Perfect for those who wish to pick up + drop off materials from their car
• Geneology services: Where you can search people from the past
• Books-by-mail: If you want your library materials mailed directly to your house.
• Meeting space: For nonprofit, civic, educational, cultural, and/or government groups
• Help from a librarian: With topics ranging from resume editing to tech support
• Creativebug: An online craft-teaching resource
• Computers + Wi-Fi: Available at library locations
*Disclaimer: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these services may not be available at the time. Call your nearest branch for more info.