DYK there’s a piece of history hidden under the ground near the RP Funding Center? Neither did we, but located under a statue near Gate 6 called “Infinity” (by sculptor Al Kriston), is a time capsule created in 1976.
The capsule burial – orchestrated by the Polk County Bicentennial Committee – is thought to include items like:
- A baseball autographed by the 1976 Detroit Tigers
- A map of Florida Southern College
- A kite and string
- Toenail clippers
- A golf ball + tennis ball
- A mason jar full of peppermints
- An American + Florida flag
- A Playboy magazine (with President Carter’s controversial interview)
- A computer printed photo of Scott Linder
- Some citrus seeds (in case all the trees are gone)
- Layman’s Parallel Bible
- A Sears catalog
- A water gun
- A savings passbook from the American Bank (that had $300 in it)
- And a joint of marijuana – which was included under a special dispensation from the Lakeland Police Department (LPD), with a few LPD badges thrown in for good measure.
The capsule is to be opened on July 4, 2076. You can read more about the capsule from this 1976 Ledger article.
☮️ Share this little piece of local history with someone who is still truckin’ on + boogying down.