Maybe you already give back year-round, or maybe practicing thankfulness this holiday season has got you in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Lakeland to give your time to. Whether you’re a lover of the arts, an outdoorsy type, or a holiday enthusiast, there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are 28 Lakeland organizations to show a little love to this holiday season:
If the holidays are your favorite time of the year
- Parker Street Ministries | Buy a toy through the Amazon wish list and help Parker Street Ministries donate over 2,800 toys to kids in the community. The ministry also needs volunteers to help with setup, work store shifts, and wrap gifts.
- Heartland for Children | Participate in the annual Rudolph Round-up and donate a gift. Gifts go to children who have experienced abuse or neglect.
- Salvation Army | Ring a bell and collect donations.
- VISTE | Deliver Thanksgiving meals to the elderly this holiday.
Natural-born teachers + mentors
- ACE Mentor Program | Those who work in architecture, construction, and engineering careers can volunteer their time to mentor Polk County students.
- One More Child Lakeland | Become a mentor for single moms in Lakeland.
- Big Brother Big Sister of Tampa Bay | Become a constant and positive influence in a child’s life.
- Eckerd Connect’s Project Bridge | Adults from all different backgrounds are needed to mentor kids aged 11-21 in a program proven to benefit both the mentor and mentee.
If you want to be there for abuse victims
- Peace River Center | Volunteer to help people who are survivors of abuse.
- Peace River Thrift Shoppe | Donate clothes, accessories, books, art, and home items and help serve clients of Peace River Center.
- YFA | Volunteer at events throughout the year and help support kids in crisis situations.
If you want to stay in your home
- Homemakers of Hope | Answer calls and emails to support the mission to provide furniture to families in need + schedule a pickup to donate your own gently used furniture.
- Sevita | Open up your home and make a difference in a foster child or adult’s life.
If you’re on a tight schedule
- Pedal Power Bicycle Ministry | Meets once a month to restore old bicycles, which are then donated to community members in need.
- Meals on Wheels of Polk County | Pick a day and deliver meals to those in need.
- OneBlood | Donate blood at any day and time that works for you.
- Dream Center Lakeland | Support local neighborhoods the first Saturday of every month through building projects, clean-ups, and distribution of goods.
The artsy types
- Lakeland Community Theatre | The theatre needs lots of volunteers and help put on plays, including help with set and prop design, making costumes, and selling concessions + tickets.
- Imperial Symphony Orchestra | Volunteer at performances to ensure that audience members have an enjoyable and exciting experience.
If you’re interested in healthcare
- Lakeland Volunteers in Medicine | Volunteer as a community or clinical volunteer to help provide better quality healthcare for free to those in need.
- Talbot House Ministries | Talbot House is seeking nurses, doctors, and dentists to volunteer their time and serve the community.
- Lakeland Regional Health | Serve in one of the many volunteer opportunities available including the pet therapy program, flower delivery, or in the teen volunteer summer program.
The outdoorsy types
- Se7en Wetlands | Spend your weekend interacting with the public and monitoring trails as a Weekend Wayfinder. Or, be a Hike Guide and lead hikers safely through a marked trail.
If you’re passionate about supporting local minority groups
- Central Florida Urban League’s Programs | Help in its mission to achieve social and economic equality through education, employment, and entrepreneurship.
- Lakeland Youth Alliance | Support the LGBTQ+ community through volunteering.
The handymen + women
- Habitat for Humanity | Build homes for the community.
- Rebuilding Together of Polk County | Transform the homes of those in need in the community.
Don’t see anything that fits your interests? Check out VolunteerMatch – a resource that helps you find local volunteer opportunities suited to your preferences. Additionally, find more local volunteer opportunities + organizations here.