To us, all of Lakeland is a work of art. But if you’re looking to see your art on a stage or in a museum, here are 19 places to get your arts + culture fix around Swan City.
For those with a flair for the dramatic
- Lakeland Community Theatre | See a hit musical or play put on by your Lakeland neighbors of all ages.
- Polk Theatre | Film fans can catch a classic flick on the silver screen at this historic theater in the heart of downtown.
- RP Funding Center | This is Lakeland’s hub for Broadway tours, comedy shows, and dance performances.
- Swan City Improv | Get a little comedic relief from this group that comes up with its scenes on the spot using audience suggestions.
- Florida Dance Theatre | Watch top dancers in performances from Polk County’s only professional dance company.
For those who hit all the right notes
- Lakeland Symphony Orchestra | Enjoy an immersive performance at various Polk County venues when you attend symphonic concerts and an annual opera.
- Union Hall | Catch local music acts at this venue or take the stage yourself with salsa + line dancing lessons on select nights.
- Hillcrest Coffee | Grab a latte and hear the latest tunes from local singer-songwriters on Thursday nights at this coffeehouse.
For the visual learners
- Polk Museum of Art | Catch the latest exhibit, listen to an art history lecture, or take a tour with the curator to learn more about the art in this museum.
- Mayfaire by-the-Lake | Stroll around Lake Morton to enjoy paintings, photography, and handcrafted goods in this annual outdoor springtime art festival.
- Art Crawl | Emerging contemporary artists can show their work at this art festival taking place each fall in Munn Park.
For those looking to organize
Get involved by joining one of these groups yourself or visiting their events.
- Platform Art | This nonprofit aims to enrich the public arts scene through visual arts, film, fashion, music, and performance.
- Mayor’s Council on the Arts | Formed by the Lakeland City Commission, this council promotes Lakeland’s arts community + creative economy.
- Lakeland Art Guild | This group of artists works to encourage other visual artists and beautify the community.
- ART/ifact | Visit pop-up events from the artist collective at this art gallery space.
For the ones who aren’t too cool for school
Support students by catching a theatre, orchestra, dance, or vocal performance from local schools, including Harrison School for the Arts, Florida Southern College, Southeastern University, or Polk State College.