“Roses are red, violets are blue. Our love for you could rival the vibrance of that Lake Mirror hue.”
You’re Hollingsworth the wait, Lakeland | GIF via Giphy
Let’s be real –– our poetry skills are not exactly on par with the likes of Keats or Byron, but, that hasn’t stopped Cupid from hitting us with a Terrace Hotel-sized arrow. This year, we opted out of the flowers-and-chocolate-route and instead, put together a list of 10 ways you can romance our favorite city this Valentine’s Day. 💝
- Brush up on your Swan City history | Our beaut’ is a feisty 136-years-old this year and from banana-scented theatres to the real Cinderella man, she has seen quite a lot in her lifetime.
- Dine at one of the classics | Buttery garlic knots, homemade sweet tea, a hot fish sandwich…need we go on? Show our classic nosh spots some extra love by eating local.
- Celebrate the bizarre | Name another city that: has trees that smelled better than Chanel No. 5. Or, one where MC Hammer shot a KFC commercial Downtown. Lakeland is a little quirky, but nevertheless, we love it all the same.
- Shop local | Lakeland is full of unique small businesses that are worth celebrating. New ones are opening all the time – helping boost not only our vibes but our economy. So, boost them back with some patronage.
- Take a mural tour | Support our little art mecca by scoping out some of the most gram-worthy murals around. Bonus points if you tag the artists in your posts.
- Feed our city’s feathered children | Omit the loaf (no one wants your crusty bread), and take advantage of the feeders around Lake Morton to share some grub with Lakeland’s iconic royal avians.
- Be cool for school | Touting several nearby colleges, go back to school + take that interesting class you never got to take in your accounting course load –– like Ceramics: Wheel Throwing or Scuba Diving 101.
- Map it: Northside to the Southside | If you hopped in the car right now and drove across town, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll see a development or two that wasn’t there last year. Our Swan City is growing on every corner – from new office space to Bonnet Springs Park, see how many “new” places you can spot.
- Bring your biz to the 863 | Lakeland was ranked no. 5 on The 15 Best Cities to Start a Home-Based Business list. People are still birthing out their dream biz, despite a pandemic. And Lakeland – a booming/zooming city – remains a metropolis for entrepreneurs. What’s stopping you?
- Enjoy Lake Crago | Whether it’s visiting the dog park, taking an exercise class, or just getting some fresh air, it’s safe to say we could all use some Vitamin D this V-Day. Be sure to pack your sunscreen.
Send the swan that you want these ideas for an extra Mrtk-inspired Valentine’s Day.