Quoteworthy:“The growing concern expressed at our recent Re-open Lakeland Task Force meeting underscored the need to provide more enforcement capability for business owners through mask requirements while indoors. Meanwhile, positive test rates continue to climb and the healthcare system is even more alarmed.” – Mayor Mutz
For those who wish to share their thoughts, a call-in code will be provided for audience participation at the beginning of the meeting.
Here’s what Lakelanders said over the weekend about mask mandates. See responses here, here + here.
How do you feel about mask mandates?
Let Lakeland City Commissioners know how you feel about this subject at today’s Commission meeting (a call-in code will be provided for audience participation at the beginning of the meeting) or by using the contact information below. ⬇️
○ Starting this week, Lakeland Regional Health will be relocating its Drive-Thru Testing Center and Respiratory Care Center to continue providing COVID-19 care to the community. Effective today, the Drive-Thru Testing Center will begin testing patients in Parking Lot N13 just north of the Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center Campus, moving from the RP Funding Center. This parking lot is located west of the Family Health Center, off of Morrell Drive and West Lane. The Drive-Thru Testing Center has seen more than 2,450 patients since opening on April 20. Effective June 23, the Respiratory Care Center will begin seeing patients at 320 Parkview Place, across the street from the Main Emergency Department at the Medical Center.
○ Polk County Public Schools (PCPS) will resume in August. Distance learning will be available for parents who do not want their children to return to campus. This decision comes after PCPS issued a survey, asking community members, parents, staff, teachers, and others, their thoughts on schools resuming in the fall. According to the survey, out of the 37,000+ respondents, 38% felt comfortable with students returning to school in August, while 34% felt uncomfortable about students returning to school in August. An additional 18% said they felt that students should return after Labor Day, and 10% said they didn’t know. (The Ledger)
○ According to the Patch, the Lakeland Cinemark Theatre is included in the 340 theatre locations the company is planning to reopen by July 17. Cinemark locations are set to have “enhanced cleaning and sanitizing protocols as well as elevated expectations for employees and guests.” (The Patch)
○ Polk County Unites has selected 23 local nonprofits to receive part of the $15M in federal CARES Act funds that Polk County officials set aside to help families during COVID-19. Non-profits include Agricultural and Labor Program, Inc., Camp Fire USA, CareerSource Polk, Bartow Catholic Charities, Central Florida Health Care, Winter Haven Church Service Center, Florida Baptist Children’s Homes/One More Child, Lakeland Frostproof Care Center + more. The amounts each nonprofit received have not been disclosed. (Lkld Now)
○ On Sunday, the Florida Department of Health announced3,494 new cases of coronavirus and 17 additional deaths in Florida. That brings the total number of cases in FL of COVID-19 to 97,291 cases, and the total deaths to 3,161 (with non-residents included, the death toll is 3,254). You can find more updates on the Florida Department of Health dashboard. It’s expected that FL will have 100,000 COVID-19 cases by today.(Click Orlando)
○ Walt Disney World’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party 2020has been cancelled. Guests who have already purchased tickets will be assisted with refunds in the coming weeks.(My News 13)
Hey, there. Looking for today’s #MustDo events? In accordance with the
CDC’s recommendations regarding public gatherings, we have decided to postpone public event coverage for the time being. We look forward to bringing you Lakeland’s #MustDo events soon (until then, feel free to submit your virtual events
Development ○ Have you been wondering about the construction happening near US 98, by McDonald’s + the Grove Park Publix Shopping Center? Say hello to Saunders Ralston Dantzler’s new headquarters. The full-service land and commercial real estate brokerage will house 50 advisors + staff. Take a virtual peek inside what the space will look like here – and peep those cool octagon lights. 🏗️
Politics ○ “I just cried with joy,” said Mario Pineda, a 19-year-old Polk State College student to The Ledger. “For me, it means there’s still hope and open doors. I mean, this isn’t a permanent solution, but it keeps something alive our dreams.”Mario – one of the 25,000 dreams in FL – received news about the Supreme Court’s vote to shield dreamers from deportation via a text, while he was working at a car wash in Mulberry. Read more local reactionshere. (The Ledger)
WaterCooler ○Polk County Public School Lake Region High School was awarded a statewide sportsmanship award, by the Florida High School Athletic Association. This is the second year in four years the school has won the award. 🏈 (Winter Haven Sun)
Listen ○Kimmy Gabriela – local artist that was featured on this season of American Idol – hinted on her Instagram that she was dropping a new single, titled “Like a Fool,” on June 26.
Job ○ The Polk County Sheriff’s Office is seeking to hire substitute crossing guards in Lakeland, Bartow, Fort Meade, Haines City, and Davenport. Substitutes must have one hour of availability in the mornings and 30 minutes in the afternoons. Those interested in applying for the position in Lakeland, Bartow, or Fort Meade, should contact 863-534-7300 ext. 108. For positions in Haines City or Davenport, call 863-534-7300 ext. 109. 🚸
ForKids ○ TheLearning Resource Center of Polk County, Inc. (LRC) has unveiled its 2020 lineup of summer enrichment programs. Rising and repeating kindergartners can gain the skills necessary for school at Camp READY which features multi-sensory learning experiences in an engaging format at Family Fundamentals in Lakeland. The camp will take place June 29-July 24, Mon.-Fri. from 8:30-11:30 a.m. The cost is $25 for the entire month.
Number ○ 200. Roughly the number of people who attended this weekend’s Juneteenth observance in Munn Park. Read more here. (Lkld Now) ○ 12. How many of these “12 Undeniable Things You’ll Find In Every Florida Home” do you have in eyesight right now? #justFloridathings 👀 (Only In Your State)
TryThis ○ Starting June 25, Lkld Food Tours – an entertaining local food tour experience – will be reopening with golf cart tours only. Ride around Lakeland on “a large bright orange low-speed vehicle named Julius” while learning about the City’s history + making pit stops to grab takeout from local restaurants. The cart cruise food tour is 2 hours + costs $77+. Dessert-only tours are also available, last for an hour-and-a-half, and costs $37+. 😋
ForParents ○ School’s out, which means most parents are taking a crash courseinworking from home with kids productively. Catapult members share how they’re figuring out this new normal + why it’s okay to take things day-by-day. Ⓟ
Toby’s Water Warriors – a group of animated characters now including Hope the Heron – are dedicated to preventing pollution in Lakeland’s waterways and helping parents teach kids of all ages why that’s important through efforts like coloring sheets + Toby’s Water Warrior Tuesdays on Facebook. It’s never too early to start caring about the environment. Ⓟ
We love to #ShopLocal, #EatLocal, and – of course – experience all the great local things our lil’ Swan City has to offer. To celebrate Juneteenth + support local black-owned businesses, for the next several days (when you receive a newsletter), we’ll be sharing a business to support as an act of community solidarity.
In need of a fresh new hairdo for summer? Belle La Vie Salon at 4525 S. Florida Ave. Ste #16 has you covered. Owner and founder, Charline Fulbright opened up this salon to bring unique and enjoyable spa experiences to Polk County. This salon not only offers hair services but spa + makeup services, as well.
🔄 Catch up on any newsletters you may have missed here.
💭 Say Hello: What do you want to know about your city?
✏️️ Want to write an article for us? Find out how here.
👀 Want your business featured in our newsletter? Learn more about advertising opportunities here.