Note: We’re continuing to update this article to bring you the most relevant information.
During a Commission meeting Thursday morning, Lakeland City Commissioners approved a mandatory mask ordinance that will go into effect today (July 2) at 5 p.m. 😷
So, who is required to wear a mask?
- Masks will be required for people who live, work, visit, or do business in the City of Lakeland in any indoor location (other than their home)
- When not maintaining social distancing from other persons, excluding family members or companions.
- The ordinance will affect those within the city’s corporate limits. Unsure of where those lie? Check out this map. This does not affect all of Polk County.
So, who is exempt from wearing a mask?
- Children under the age of eight years old
- People observing social distancing in accordance with CDC guidelines
- People for whom a face covering would cause impairment due to an existing health condition
- People working in a business or a profession who do not have interactions with others
- Those who work in a business or profession who maintain social distancing from other persons
- People working in a business or profession where the use of a face covering would prevent them from performing the duties of their business or profession
- People who are exercising while maintaining social distancing in accordance with CDC guidelines
- People who are eating or drinking
- Children under the age of eighteen years old while participating in youth sports;
- Public safety, fire, and other life safety and health care personnel, as their protective equipment requirements, will be governed by their respective agencies
- People communicating with someone who is hearing impaired where the wearing of a face covering would impede communication, provided that social distancing is observed to the greatest extent practicable
- People for whom the requirement to wear a face-covering would cause a conflict with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
How will this be enforced?
It is the intent of the City Commission to seek voluntary compliance with the provisions contained herein and to educate and warn of the dangers of non-compliance. If voluntary compliance “is not achieved,” violaters may be subject to a $250 fine.
What qualifies as a face covering?
“Face Covering” shall mean a uniform piece of material that securely covers a person’s nose and mouth and remains affixed in place without the use of one’s hands, whether store-bought or homemade, consistent with CDC guidelines.
Where can I buy a mask?
Our friends at Lakeland Mom rounded up a list of where to find masks, locally. See here.
Where can I get tested?
Our friends at LkldNow gathered information about where to get tested in Lakeland. See here.
How long will this last?
This Resolution will expire at 5 p.m. on August 3, unless extended by further action of the City Commission.
See the full resolution here.