Looking for ease when traversing Lake Hunter? You might be in luck.
The City of Lakeland is considering a new multi-purpose trail down Sikes Boulevard, along Lake Hunter. Commissioners recently partook in a workshop to chat about the proposed trail, which was presented by David Nelson from Renaissance Planning.
To catch you up to speed, here are a few fast facts, should the plan come to fruition:
- The 10-12 ft. wide trail would span 1.4 miles from Ariana Street to Lime Street
- The trail would provide an easier ride for bikers hoping to head to New York Avenue Cycle Track, Veterans Memorial Park + Bonnet Springs Park.
- If approved, the trail’s construction wouldn’t begin until 2026 or 2027.
- Construction of the trail would be broken up into three phases with potential options spanning from $2 million to $8.5 million.
- Some proposed details include a boardwalk, retention walls, or grassy slopes.
What next? The City plans to propose the idea + request funding in 2022 from the Florida Department of Transportation and the Polk Transportation Planning Organization.