Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these LAL spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Charlie’s Mini Donuts & Coffee, 1023 E. County Rd. 540A | Pick up a dozen of these bite-sized donuts, perfect for snacking in the car.
- Twisted Sugar, 3958 Florida Ave. S. | Grab a few of Twisted Sugar’s cookies + a signature soda to sip on your trip.
- Black & Brew, 205 E. Main St. | Stop by for a caffeine boost and order a sandwich or pastry to-go.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game or craft at Scout & Tag.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Kimmy Gabriela, “Wide Eyes”
- District Title, “Give Up the Ghost”
- Van Plating, “The Way Down”
- Bonus: Listen to the latest episode of “Florida Men on Florida Man”
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Take5 Oil Change, 5126 US Hwy. 98 N.
- Firestone Complete Auto Care, 5105 Florida Ave. S.
- Mavis Tires and Brakes, 5120 Dave Robbins Way
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: